Thursday, March 26, 2015

10 Best Easter Table Tips

I love a great table.  I do.

I love to utilize all the sweet and charming details that I can 
when planning for any holiday or special event...

So... I thought I would share with you my top 10 tips on creating holiday tables...  
Plus one bonus tip...
 because... I couldn't stop with only ten...

First, I must say that pulling together a great table easier than it looks...

I promise.

So, if fancying up a holiday table isn't usually your cup of tea... 

don't worry...

...it's absolutely doable.

... and once you know a few of the tricks...it comes together easily.


The first thing you should know is there are no rules.  Yay... no rules...

What a relief... 

Which means that using what you like and 
what you have on hand, can go a long, long, way to getting 
an Easter table that you 
and your guests will really enjoy.

Tip 1:
The foundation.
Start with the background.  
A good table cloth in light spring colors or using timeless white or cream, 
makes the perfect foundation for a great Easter table.
The key here is staying in one color palette.

Here I used my old standby in white... Everything goes with white...
... and it brightens things up.

Using a table runner is also a good way to anchor the table...or Easter display.
Here I used a burlap runner on bare wood.

Tip 2:
Fresh flowers.
Use fresh flowers when you can...
 Using a flower wholesaler can save you money...it's worth checking it out.

It's also more than OK to mix, fresh flowers with 
good looking artificial flowers or greenery to fill out your table.

Here I used artificial cabbage and artificial fern fronds 
with potted fresh violas and fresh cut spray roses and daffodils.

If you live where flowers are already blooming... (lucky you)
use some from your yard to tuck into table arrangements... 
Even blooming forsythia branches and 
blooming dogwood branches would be a good choice.

Flowers can be one large assortment...


...Or consider using collections of small vases 
to create a few small arrangements for the table.

Below, I used vintage blue canning jars to hold the flowers... 

 I even used a Napa cabbage on the buffet... 
it was less than one dollar, 
tied with a piece of burlap ribbon and 
it becomes the perfect addition to our Easter buffet...
and it went well with the whole springtime theme...
plus it's edible...after the party....

Tip 3:
Layering.

One best way to give any table interest...is to layer.

Foundation = Table cloth or runner
Plate
Napkin
Flatware
Glasses
Place card or menu
Table flowers/arrangements
Added figurines/ribbons

When all of the above are added...it creates a layered effect... giving the table depth.
Here is an example:

Tip 4:
White Plates.

If you invest in any staple for your table, 
I recommend white dishes.  
They can be plain or decorative...
 but plain white dishes end up being most versatile when 
it comes to creating a good-looking table.

Additional patterned or colorful plates when
added to white dishes can vary the overall look... 
Adding a few bright dishes, 
chargers or colored drinking glasses...
mixed with white 'everyday' plates...
adds so much to a table...

Tip 5:
Color.
I know... 
I just said plain white dishes are a great foundation to holiday tables... 

and they are...

so this might seem like contrary advice... 
...but try not to be afraid of color.  

Choose an accent color... 
and stay in that color lane.

For example, here I chose a light blue...
 I picked that color up in the mason jars, 
added ribbon to tie napkins and even added colored drinking glasses ... 

Color is a great way to give life and personality to a holiday table.  
Whatever accent color you decide on... 
play off that color with complimentary flower colors... 
or colors that offer a pop...

Above, the light blue goes well with the bright pink spray roses.

Tip 6:
Napkins.

I like cloth napkins for a holiday meal... it makes if feel more special.  Because,... 

Really,
..It's only a few times a year that we go all out... for holiday decor... 
So I splurge...

But... that being said... 
If you really want to use paper napkins...
 they make some really fantastic designs and in great colors that can 
add to the charm and overall look of your table.

  ...and I did say there were no rules...  ;)

Think about fun ways for fold napkins...
or ways to incorporate your accent color into the napkin.

Tip 7:
Adding Interest with Add-on's

I like to add faux Easter eggs and darling rabbits to the table at Easter.
Creating a small vignette with items you probably already have is a great way to add interest to any table...  

Think...little chicks, bunnies, small dishes of jelly beans, butterflies and Easter eggs.

Tip 8:
Menu Cards or Place Cards.


I love 'em.. and it doesn't have to be too fancy... 
but adding either menu cards or place cards has a way of elevating the table.
Making it just that much more special....
...for a very special occasion.

Here I used a Matthew Mead Easter inspired Menu card... 
I made them...his site was the inspiration. Matthew Mead Holiday

Tip 9:
Height.



Adding height is a great way to add dimension to a holiday table.

Go high...but not too high... No one wants their view to be obstructed...
therefore, I like to keep table arrangements to about 12-15 inches...
That way you can see everyone when you are seated.

Consider using small cake plates or small glass pedestals
 to give a little height to normally low lying decor.

This can be an issue...if using long stemmed plants like daffodils... 
they start out small and get really tall. 



Tip 10:
Have fun...try new things, try new looks.  
There are NO rules.

Using resources like your favorite magazines, 
blogs or Pinterest is a great way to get inspired and to get those creative juices flowing!  

Bonus Tip 11: (everyone likes an extra bonus)
I like to sit at each place setting before a big get together.  
I can see what the view is like from each guests perspective... 
Trust me... changing the view has shown me plenty of cobwebs
and dusty mirrors that from where I normally sit... 
I would have totally missed...

Remember to decorate and carry over your table efforts onto the buffet and dessert table (if you are using one)... Adding a little leftover ribbon or a few bunnies, a small vase of leftover table flowers can add charm in the most unexpected way!

Happy Easter decorating!!!




Doing a kids table??
Our kiddos LOVE this fun dessert!!


No comments:

Post a Comment