Monday, March 2, 2015

Sugar Cookies {The really good kind}

There are a few things that I absolutely cannot be trusted with...

...And that's saying a lot...because  I am a very trustworthy kind of person.

Let's start with licorice all sorts 
...I know, I know, some people despise them..and others adore them...

I am in the 'adore-them' camp...and I cannot be left alone with them. 
 If for some reason you asked me to keep an eye on your open bag of all sorts...
well, that's probably a bad idea.  

I cannot guarantee their safety...

The same can be said of caramel popcorn, Swedish fish and these vintage sugar cookies.
I remember being eight years old...
and one spring afternoon, my mom made the most wonderful sugar cookies... 
...best sugar cookies ever... in the history of our family... (or the world)
They were crisp and chewy, sugary and also a tiny bit salty 
....and buttery...so, so buttery and also very addictive.
My mom put the beautifully stacked,...
 ...glistening with colored pastel sugar, sugar cookies
 into a tall, lidded glass container... 
I'm pretty sure the cookies may have been on display for a whopping 30 seconds 
before we all helped ourselves to them.  
They were magnificent... everything a sugar cookie should be...

Now... 
For the best part...

I'm going to share my recipe with you...I really am...
But I cannot be held responsible for how many cookies you might eat...

....because,

 ...it will be many.

I made some of those very same vintage sugar cookies recently...

They are amazing... so good...and just as addictive all these years later.

I used green sugar... since we are getting ever so very close to St. Patrick's Day...

I used piled them into one of my favorite antique cookie jars... it really could use a lock.


Recipe for Mom's Vintage Sugar Cookies:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt

***
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup softened unsalted butter
1 egg + 2 egg yolks (at room temperature is best)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

***
1/2 cup sanding sugar for coating the outside of the cookies
1 small drinking glass for pressing
parchment paper to line cookie sheet


Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.  Cream butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add egg and yolks one at a time, blending well after each.  Mix in extract.  Add dry ingredients to the wet, blending until just combined.


Drop 1 inch dough balls into the sanding sugar.  I use a small ice cream scoop.

Roll dough in sugar.

Place cookie dough about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  

Gently press cookies to about 1/2 inch thickness before baking.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden on the edges,

Let cookies rest 1 minute on cookie sheet before moving to cool on a cooling rack.


...and this is just the beginning...tomorrow I am going to do something amazing with these delicious sugar cookies... Can they really get any better??    Yes...Yes they can.

Shared at these lovely Link Parties:

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

No comments:

Post a Comment