Tuesday, March 17, 2015

It's so EASY Being GREEN

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!  
I have a Shamrock mantel to share today...
although...I realize that I should have shared this
 much earlier in March...

I had planned to do so last week, 
...and then all the fun and excitement with the 
Today show pie feature started up...
...and you know how things go... 

So... for today's post I also included a very cool, 
Pottery Barn-ish DIY Terrarium.
Both are green...
...and both happened to be in the same family room photo
...so it all worked out.


I love looking through the Pottery Barn store.  
It's amazing all the detail that goes into their tables and displays.
Last spring, I went to one of the free design classes
 that Pottery Barn offers.  
It's very educational, 
if you are into that sort of thing.  
A lot of the Pottery Barn "look" has to do with layering and height...

If you want to take a design class, 
check with your nearest Pottery Barn/website for details.
I've found that the scale of our home 
is not the same scale as some of the popular
 Pottery Barn furnishings...

Some homes have 20 foot vaulted ceilings... 
We do not.

Open floor plans are great for over-sized furniture...

...But if you do not have over-sized rooms,
adding an over-sized farmhouse harvest table complete with 12 chairs... 
Well,...it just isn't going to work.

...our colonial dining room..while nice sized...
was never made for the large sized furnishings... 

 It's a scale thing.

Please know...I love Pottery Barn...big fan... my point is, you have to know 
your space and how to fill it with the right sized pieces...

That's the tricky part... and why I always carry a measuring tape.  
Once inside a large space, like a showroom floor or a warehouse full of furniture... 
it becomes easy to lose perspective on size.
Now..is it possible to still get the beautiful Pottery Barn look??  
...even without super-spacious rooms and tall ceilings??

Yes, yes it is.

This is a good for instance...

Last year, I saw an amazing terrarium inside a very large  glass apothecary jar...
 gorgeous and very BIG.

Imagine..if this BIG jar of gorgeousness was sitting on my dining room table...
and you came over for lunch...
we could be at the same table together...
and never, 
even know it...

...it was that kind of BIG...
I knew the look was great...I just needed it in a reduced...smaller size.

At the the time, I said...
"Note to self... (I can make one of those!)"

So...Using a thrift store find..this vase

...And recycling my daughter's 6th grade science plant cell model...
(She's so creative and so much smarter than I was in the 6th grade... )


I added glass marbles to the bottom.

...Then soil....

Then some of the succulents...

In no time, I had a scaled down...suitable for our sized coffee table...terrarium.

 It's the perfect size... and It's so bright and springy...and green... I love it!!

And here...before the last bits of the luckiest day of the year get away... 
Our shamrock'in mantel... the daffodils have since moved on... but it's still a 
cheerful bright spot.

Sharing at these Parties:
Inspiration Monday
Wow Us Wednesday
The Scoop

No comments:

Post a Comment