Thursday, June 22, 2017

Seeing IS Believing: Thrift Store Saves



I bet you need some proof...
I know I always do.

I don't
believe everything I read...
or everything I hear.

 I learned this lesson
 when I was six years old.

It all started when I
saw a commercial on T.V. for crackers.

The lady on T.V. smiled and convincingly said 
" Wow, These crackers just melt in your mouth!! "

I was absolutely determined from
 that moment on 
 my mother
needed to buy our family some of those
 "melt-in-your-mouth" crackers.

I pestered my mother to no end...

When she finally asked why 
We needed these particular crackers...

I said, "The crackers will melt in our mouth...
The lady said so...
I can't wait to try it." 

Surely, in the history of cracker buying, 
there has never been a better reason
 that has ever existed
for needing to purchase crackers.

My goodness, I was on a mission
to have those T.V. crackers melt in MY mouth.

We did eventually buy THE crackers... 

...And guess what??

...Not a single cracker ever melted in my mouth... 
they mostly got soggy and and then just sat there,
 bits of cracker...
... no melting... none whatsoever.

Nevertheless...this story is taking the looong way 
around the barn...

Truth in advertising meets reality...
 To make this whole 
Thrift Shop Thursday thing
work for you...
I need to show you what I do with the finds... 
all the amazing treasures from thriting adventures.

You will need to see it...
to believe it.

If I simply show you a gorgeous glass jar, 
or a terrific vase... 
it's not as amazing until you see it in action...
being re-purposed, 
used and loved in a whole new way.

For starters...
I have a photo of a past Easter table...


See all the good things
I found to 
make this amazing table...
and I found them all at...
you guessed it..
the thrift store.

For me, the whole key to thrifting and doing it well, 
is keeping my mind open to 
the possibility of what might be...

Which is kind of a good way of looking at a lot of things...

No frame must keep it's original color or hold it's original artwork...
Save the frame, the glass and the hardware and make it your own.

I paint a lot of frames and 
put in artwork that suits me...
or seasonal touches that make the house feel warm and cozy.

Here, I added beautiful vintage postcards to 
add to our Thanksgiving displays...all  the frames here 
were found at the thrift store ... 
even the turkey peeking at us...thrift store!!

A damaged piece of furniture can be
 transformed with a little sandpaper and fresh paint...
Anything is possible at the thrift store...


Changing things or thinking about things in a new way can 
breathe new life into the ordinary.

Here... 50¢ margarita glasses
 Transformed into
individual dessert dishes...

Margarita Key Lime Pie never looked
so cute...

Those cheap glasses made their way
onto a recipe segment...

Anything is possible...

 Individual desserts are in fashion
right now...how sweet for a graduation party, a wedding 
or a birthday bash... so many possibilities... so many!!
For the Margarita Key Lime Pie recipe 
Click Here: 
Margarita Key Lime Pie Recipe
and for the squeal
Individual Margarita Key Lime Pies

I happened on a large
collection of these cute goblets...

Here they are staged on the buffet
...waiting to become individual
 pumpkin desserts at Thanksgiving.

Look at all the amazing finds from the thrift store...

It's possible 80% of
what is in this photo is
from a thrift store, auction
or a yard sale... really.

Even the corner closets... (far top-left corner of the photo)
all the details of which will be in a future post...
Those corner closets might be my favorite find ever...


The table...



 And yes...those gorgeous plates...
from an auction...
I still can't believe someone wanted to
 part ways with those beauties...
lucky me...

For a Thanksgiving Home Tour
Click Here:

There are treasures just waiting to be found...
Go out and find them!!


My Thrifiting Tip For Today:

If you give delicious cookies or homemade 
baked goods out during
the holidays,
(you know...the melt-in-your-mouth, sort of baked goods)
(Everyone LOVES,  the melt-in your-mouth variety the best..)
 stock up on inexpensive
holiday platters or plates.

Those holiday plates are perfect for gift giving!!
This was a set of 5 plates for 3.50...

This way, when you give a gift of
a baked good or cookies, the plate doesn't
 need to be returned. 
Add a little cellophane and a pretty ribbon 
and you have made a gorgeous gift!! 
This is a great tip for 
sending home leftovers from 
dinner parties and holidays too...

If you would be interested
a few more tips on putting together a great table:

Click Here:Best Table Tips


Have a super day and remember...
anything is possible!!






No comments:

Post a Comment