Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Tomato Pie

Is your garden overflowing with tomatoes??  

Mine garden is... full of tomatoes!  Usually, this time of year we head to the shore...just as my first tomatoes are really looking beautiful... and so many times in the past, I knew the deer were just waiting in the woods-- watching for me to leave so they could get my tomatoes while I was away on vacation... but this year (silver-lining- alert) I am here for the tomatoes.  I am here for the BLTs, and the salsa...  I am here for the tomatoes.

Is there anything better than a warm homegrown tomato??  --Maybe this tomato pie... 

The deer don't know why I'm cutting into their summer haul of my vine-ripened tomatoes.... but I am making it my business to harvest all that I can... more tomatoes=more tomato pie.  

I have the perfect tomato pie recipe for you...especially if you have too many tomatoes, just like me.

I made this pie last summer for the first time and I fell in love.  It's easy, and it makes such a great dinner in the summer.

Enjoy.  If you have a favorite tomato variety...let me know in the comments...I love trying new kinds.  Have you had a Green Zebra??  Those little green tomatoes are just wonderful too!!

Recipe: 


Tomato Pie

Ingredients:
1 cup Ricotta cheese
1 egg lightly beaten,
1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning,
1 Tbsp. fresh basil roughly chopped
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
(3 Tbs Parmesan for topping the pie)
2-3 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced--(my favorites are Brandywine, heirloom-any, Fourth of July varieties)

Savory Pie Dough
For a savory pie dough, can be made in a stand mixer, food processor or with a pastry blender:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper
3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese, 
6 Tbs butter. Mix/cut in until crumbly
 Add 2-4 Tbs of cool water until dough forms. Let chill 1 hour before rolling.

Mix together the ricotta, egg, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, basil, and mozzarella and cheddar cheeses-set aside.
Fill the pie plate with pie dough, and crimp edges. (store-bought is fine)
Spread ricotta mixture to the edges of the pie dough.
Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan and one layer of thinly sliced tomatoes; top with another sprinkle of Parmesan and a pinch of salt.  Bake 375 for 45-55 minutes or until hot, slightly puffed and the crust is golden.  Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with more basil. Let cool for 20 mins before serving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment