Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Lovebird Valentine Heart Wreath

They only come around once or twice a year....

I always want them to stay...

but...they never do....

 ...the bluebirds...

Are they not the cutest little birds ever??

The first time I saw one I couldn't believe my eyes....It was so blue....so gorgeous.

We don't live in a big meadow, or in a pasture or near a pond...all places I know they like...
but they were in our yard just the same...
The bluebirds were stunning...the brightest blue, with orange tummies...

I ran right out and got a special bluebird feeder...just for bluebirds...who knew there was such a thing??
I picked up dried mealworms...apparently a delicious treat for bluebirds...

I even bought four bluebird houses and had them put up on our backyard fence line...creating a bluebird trail...

It was the making of the finest bluebird sanctuary this side of the Mississippi....

And you'll never guess what happened...



...Well, guess what?... The bluebirds visit our yard on their way to somewhere else...

Yes...we are the bluebirds' roadside stop on the way to greener pastures...or someplace warm maybe...

At best, my lovely bluebird "neighborhood" is a bed and breakfast....

...Not one bluebird has decided to take up residence...not one...

But truly, that's okay, because when they do come for a visit...

I'm thrilled to see them.
 It's a little piece of joy in the late dreary winter...the bluebird sightings in our backyard are such happy occasions --always.

And...even if it's a brief visit (and their visits usually are).... I love to watch them...every time.
So... for this Valentine's day... I made a heart shaped wreath and in it, I set two "bluebirds"...and they look right at home...  for the sake of Valentine's Day...we can assume they are lovebirds as well...
All my supplies came from Hobby Lobby.  The heart shaped grape vine wreath is an old wreath I took apart...so I'm not sure where it originated...

Below is a quick photo tutorial, in case you want a pair of "bluebirds" to roost on your front door too.
Wishing you a visit from the bluebird of happiness... until next time...

1.  Dowel rod and wooden hearts, I painted mine gold.
2.  Collect a variety of complimentary ribbons.
3.  Use a grapevine wreath or wreath form.
4.  Use ribbon to make loops, weaving the ribbon through the wreath.
5.  Use a contrasting ribbon, making more loops.
6.  Add a smattering of silk flowers for interest.  I used daisies and lavender.
7.  Using a hot glue gun adhere painted hearts to the dowel rod, so that it looks like Cupid's arrow.
8.  Make a bow for the the front, I added mine to the bottom of the heart.
     Add the little birds... I happened to have a nest, so I added it too.
9. Add a few burlap flowers for interest and hang your beautiful lovebird wreath...just in time for
    Valentine's Day!

To secure ribbons, flowers and birds, I use a dab of hot glue to keep things in place.
Sharing this post with:



No comments:

Post a Comment