Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Strawberry Doughnut Shortcake & her sweet friend...Peaches & Cream Doughnut Shortcake

Three cheers for the inventors of strawberry shortcake!!

A beloved staple of summertime menus in the USA...

A picnic dessert at it's best...

This traditional strawberry dessert will be
 171 years young this June...

One of the earliest mentions of this
culinary masterpiece was  
"Strawberry Cakes" dated from 1845,
in the Ohio Cultivator, Columbus Ohio.
The recipe was later printed nationally in
1847, in The Ladies Receipt Book, of Philadelphia.

Well done Ohio...way to go...
and kudos to folks in Philly for 
spreading the word on this dessert in 1847!

Only 91 years later, 

we were given the next great achievement in
American culinary excellence...

Behold, the birth of the glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut. Yesss!!!!

Mr. Vernon Rudolph...I salute you and your doughnut empire...
A key to our city, ...even a key to every city... 
 a ticker-tape parade in your honor...
None of these accolades seem to match the 
mouth-watering joy you have shared
with millions by making and selling your amazing doughnuts...

Those sure are some tasty doughnuts...

And today, 2016...almost 79 years after the doughnut...

We have the:"Strawberry Doughnut Shortcake"
To whomever first thought up
putting these two marvelous
 confections together...

Well done!!!

Doughnuts + Strawberry Shortcake = Magic

All I can say is "You are a genius." 
I'm not a math wizard...
but I know this equation works....
 Thank you....simply thank-you!

***
We whipped up a very quick batch of this 

foodie-lover's dream come true...

The family...

Well, they had no words...

they sighed...

Total bliss....

...then each one smiled from ear to ear...

and dove back in for another scoop of deliciousness!!

It was really that good and bonus...

It is beyond easy to make!!


Go to the store now...

...or soon after you finish reading this
 blog post would be even better...

Get a small box of glazed Krispy Kreme doughnuts, 

strawberries and some whipped cream...
You're welcome in advance for turning you on to what
will no doubt, be my go-to dessert of the summer.

(Spoiler Alert:  Fair warning to all guests... 
This is what I will be serving... THIS dessert. All summer...)

Easy...  Check.
Fruit. .. Check.
Delicious....  Check. Check. Check.

I, myself, was a little bit strawberry-ed out... due to all the recent
strawberry-rhubarb activity in the house...

True confessions time:
I have never really been a huge fan of strawberry shortcake...
gasp...  how unpatriotic...  I know, I know... 


My grandma once made me strawberry shortcake for my birthday...
When my 8 year-old self uttered the words
"No thank-you, I don't care for strawberry shortcake"  
She quickly quipped  "Who doesn't like strawberry shortcake??!! "  

Indeed... Who doesn't like it?

"I think I quietly whispered back "me"

... Oh, goodness... 
To go back and have the chance for a birthday do-over...
 I'd just politely eat the strawberry shortcake...every last bite... 
Well... good manners, and my grandma's loving intentions aside...

Fast forward 30-something years later...

and this is what I did instead... just for me...
(The strawberry shortcake hater)

I whipped up a little "peaches and cream" action...

It was soooo good.

I warmed the peaches in a saucepan 

with a little sugar (1 tsp) a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon...

I let the peaches soften and get all gooey from the sugar...

It was divine... A truly decadent treat...made in just minutes!!!

I have thoughts on making this whole
 doughnut-shortcake amazing-ness into a
July Fourth dessert-bar at our house...

Fruits in reds and blues...
 A perfect do-it-yourself, 
make your own shortcake masterpiece...

There is no chance of making one the wrong way...

There is however a chance of needing to try 
multiple flavor combinations... and for that
I  recommend extra miles on the treadmill...
(I'm planning ahead)


I'll keep you posted on the whole dessert bar idea...It would be cute!!


So... My best advice for today is:  

Make this.  

...and watch the happy faces appear!!!

(Yes... I realize that a doughnut is not a shortcake... 
so technically, this dessert should probably have a different 
sort of name and all... but this doughnut thing...
 it is way better than any shortcake...  —way better.)

If only my sweet grandma had made my birthday treat 
with a doughnut... I might have been converted!!  
Thank you just the same to grandma... it's the thought that counts!


How To:

Strawberry Doughnut Shortcake
Clean and slice 1 container (16 oz) of ripe strawberries.
If desired, add 1 Tbs sugar and a tiny pinch of cinnamon, mix.
(It's OK to let the berry flavor shine... 
without too much sugar, plenty of sweetness in the doughnut)
Cover berries with the cinnamon sugar mixture, if using.
Let coated berries rest for at least 30 minutes to macerate.

Whipped Cream
(Make fresh or use the pre-made)
2 cups of heaving whipping cream
2 TBS confectioner's sugar
1 tiny pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
Whip cream on medium then high with a hand mixer
for 4-5 minutes or until cream is thickened and fluffy.
(Using a chilled bowl helps this process along)
If you want to get fancy, put your fresh whipped
cream in a piping bag with a large tip for fancier results... fancier than a dollop.

Slice a glazed doughnut in half through the middle (like slicing a bagel)

Open doughnut, add fruit and whipped cream, top with the other half of the doughnut... ENJOY!

***
Peaches and Cream Doughnut Shortcake
2 ripe fresh peaches, peeled and sliced or
1 can of sliced peaches drained.
Place peach slices in a small sauce pan
Sprinkle with 1 tsp of sugar,
(Use a tad more sugar if your fruit is under ripe, or use less if fruit is very ripe.)
Add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Heat peaches on medium until the fruit softens and is warmed.
(If needed add a little water to pan, so peaches don't burn)

Whipped Cream
(Make fresh or use the pre-made)
2 cups of heaving whipping cream
2 TBS confectioner's sugar
1 tiny pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
Whip cream on medium then high with a hand mixer
for 4-5 minutes or until cream is thickened and fluffy.
(Using a chilled bowl helps this process along)
If you want to get fancy, put your fresh whipped
cream in a piping bag with a large tip for fancier results...fancier than a dollop.

Slice a glazed doughnut in half through the middle (like slicing a bagel)

Spoon warmed peaches onto one doughnut half,
top with whipped cream and other half of the doughnut.  ENJOY!!

A few other berry and fruit flavor
combinations that might be fun to try:

Strawberry-Chambord (A berry liqueur)
Strawberry-Rhubarb
Cherry
Blueberry-Lemon Zest
Blackberry-Honey-Mint
Raspberry
Mixed Berry(Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry)
...Warm Brown Sugared Bananas-Dark Rum
...so many options!!!


Thanks for stopping by!!  If you make this 
(really, everyone should)  
Let me know if you liked it as much as our family did!!

Best,

Karri




1 comment: