Thursday, April 3, 2014

Ahh...APRIL


Not to be too cliché ...
...BRING MAY FLOWERS!!
Oh April, how happy I am to see that you are here!  I don't know about you, but this lonnng winter has made me more eager than ever to get spring going.  I know the extra winter we enjoyed has delayed the start of our spring....So many things that are usually blooming by now...well, they haven't even started yet!

The kids are on spring break this week, and today we are enjoying our first good thunderstorms of the season.  We are getting a good soaking too...and all I can say is I am so happy it isn't snow!!


Our planters out front are coming along and getting a great big drink today.
I'm getting excited for our flower garden to get blooming...Just a few short weeks and it will be full of green sprouts and flowers....This shot is from mid May...that's not too far off!!
I have so many "favorites" once they are finished blooming, I have other favorites to take their place... I so look forward to the flower garden each year.  Each and every year I tell myself the same very sweet little fib..."I'll only buy a few new plants for the garden"... And each year I can be seen hauling home multiple loads of new varieties of flowers and plants from our local nurseries... No sane person needs to grow 10 different kinds of tomatoes... but I do it anyway.  There is something so intoxicating about entering the greenhouse and the smells of all those BEAUTIFUL blooms just surround you... I cannot resist.   I'll try harder this year...promise!

My flower garden is layered with hydrangea, oak leaf hydrangea, lambs ear, hosta (many varieties), iris, peonies, foxgloves, columbine, lavender and herbs.

The purple iris remind me of my grandma, she and I both loved them the most.

These yellow iris are supposed to bloom twice, once in the spring and once in the fall.  They are called (Total Recall... as in, "I'll be back")  however...they have only ever bloomed once in the spring for me...
I'm a big fan of foxgloves too...
Hurrah for the springtime, the thunderstorms and all the blooms that are on their way!


No comments:

Post a Comment