Monday, January 10, 2022

Lazy Day Deluxe Chocolate-Toffee Chip Cookies

 


I love an easy recipe!! Especially one that requires a bowl and a wooden spoon to make magic. Crunchy on the edges, chewy in the center… the flavor and texture are on point… a very good cookie for very little effort… and no waiting or fussy directions. 

Over the weekend I bribed my teenage son (it sounds awful… but it was the incentive he needed) to get started on his driving school videos… I said, “How ‘bout this… you go do an hour of studying and I’ll make fresh chocolate chip cookies?!”  

To my surprise, he was all in, it was a deal he could not pass up.  It was a cold Saturday afternoon… very chilly and damp outside—I was snuggled up on the couch reading… so after he’d been studying for about 40 minutes I decided I had better find my way from the cozy cocoon of blankets and into the kitchen, in order to fulfill my end of this deal. 

I was so lazy in fact,  I didn’t even reach for my recipe book… I just pulled down ingredients from the pantry… and got right to work.  My laziness continued as I decided to melt the butter and forgo the stand mixer or anything remotely electric, I used a wooden spoon and a bowl. My goal was to dirty as few dishes as possible. In 5 minutes we had dough… in 7 minutes chocolate-toffee chip deluxe dough and after a quick 13 minutes in the oven we had stumbled onto a scrumptious cookie—fit for the grumpiest of teenagers this side of the Mississippi.  My sweet boy remarked all weekend long about how delicious the cookies were and by Monday morning, there were only handful left on the plate in the kitchen.  My husband agreed… these cookies are indeed something special.

What’s the moral of this story??  I’m not sure… I guess laziness can sometimes lead to great things?…or maybe simplicity wins— the early bird usually gets the worm… but in this case, the cozy cocoon dwellers get the cookies… which turned out to be a huge WIN!  Enjoy these cookies… and be proud of all the energy you save by using so few dishes… you’re welcome. ;)  


Karri Perry’s Lazy-Day Deluxe Chocolate-Toffee Chip Cookies

A bowl and a wooden spoon make magic with this simply superb recipe.


1 cup light brown sugar

4 Tablespoons granulated sugar

1 stick melted butter (8 Tablespoons)

1 large egg

2 tablespoons sour cream

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder 

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup milk chocolate chips

1/2 cup toffee baking bits

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Pinch of flake sea salt for topping


In a bowl, mix together the sugars, egg, melted butter and vanilla. Be sure no puddles of melted butter remain after stirring.


Add flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix to combine. 


Add the sour cream and gently stir to combine.


Fold in milk chocolate chips,  semi-sweet chocolate chips, along with the toffee bits and nuts.

Scoop 1 1/2 inch dollops of dough-spaced 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle each cookie dough portion very lightly with flake sea salt if desired.

Bake on the middle rack of a preheated 350 degree oven for 13 minutes.  Edges will be golden, center will be lightly set.  

Leave cookies on the hot baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.  

Makes about 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment