Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Lucky 13

It happened.  
I am officially the mom of a teen. 
 {long happy sigh...}

That certainly didn't take too long to happen...


Late September of 2002 was a balmy and warm start to the fall season.
I was so bleary-eyed and tired...but also so overjoyed...

Truly overjoyed.


...Loving my new baby...
My days were spent in an endless cycle of
 feeding, rocking, diaper changing and 
often times, and best of all...
 ...just watching in amazement ...
sheer and utter amazement...
I sat there loving every ounce of my brand new baby girl.

I was so frazzled (as most new moms are) 
in those first few weeks of
motherhood...

I didn't daydream about what she might be like at 13...
my thoughts were mostly about getting through each day and 
figuring "us" out.


All these years later, 
I am happy to report that I am well rested, (on most days)
and my dream come true...
my darling daughter...
 is even better 
than any daydream 
I could have ever tried to dream up. Ever.


I'm proud of her from head to toe
 and so impressed with all that she
is and will someday be...
She's so accomplished for someone so young... 


Turning thirteen felt like a major milestone.... 
entering the teenage years... 

...and every milestone requires a celebration of course...

Making her birthday special was the plan... 
We celebrated with French macaroons, 
vanilla, peach, passion fruit and lemon, 
miniature cupcakes, ice cream and strawberry lemonade.



Lydia invited a small group of her dearest girlfriends 
to spend the afternoon together...
 They painted....
 they ate.... 
they giggled...
I'm pretty sure there was some dancing and singing too...

The perfect kind of get-together for a newly minted 'teenager'.



I'm looking forward to 
these upcoming years with my girl.


If it's anything like our beginning...
it will be full of wonder 
and I can sit back and watch in amazement...



{I am hopeful I can remain well-rested...and not become too frazzled...}
I'm really counting on that!!





 Happy Birthday Lydia.  

Love, 

Mom xoxo


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Lydia! Looks like it was a lovely party - right out of a magazine! Lucky mom and lucky girl! From your Canadian Cousins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by the blog!! I passed on your birthday message...she says 'thank you'!!

    ReplyDelete